Monday, April 4, 2016

How To Deal With Discouragement

I am writing this on the Monday of all Mondays. I have had the type of day that makes me realize why many people say "I hate Mondays". My homework is piling up, finals are around the corner, I hate my job and can't find another one, and just as things seem to be going my way, that luck halts. It painfully and awfully just stops. I have yet to find a perfect balance of complete and udder nirvana, where the scales are perfectly synced. Once one thing falls into place, another unravels. On the contrary, I read in a book once that a woman said, if you are happy about everything and everything is going perfectly right, they are preparing to take something away from you. So I guess that's a good sign that I'm not losing anything anytime soon. I am writing this piece mostly for myself because dealing with discouragement and defeat is something I struggle heavily with. Right now for example, I am struggling with the horrible realization that my job is slowing, but surely killing me, one brain cell at a time. I swear working at a call center has taken ten years off of my life just by sitting in a mundane cubicle and staring at the white glow of my computer screen while biting my tongue not to curse at mean people. Discouragement is on the list of the worst feelings to feel. It is the worst to feel like you are giving everything your all, and it still isn't enough. So on days like today, when I'm laying in bed feeling defeated by my Monday and trying not to have a earthshattering emotional and mental break down, I need to remember these things:

1. You are kind, you are smart, and you are important.  ( Thanks Kathryn Stockett)

2. Just because you were turned down at a job you wanted extremely bad, doesn't mean you are a failure.

3. Everything happens for a reason.

4. Everything works out.

5. And everything will fall into place eventually.

6. You are right where you are supposed to be in life.

7. You are making your dreams come true.

8. You are becoming a better person.

9. Just because your boss might tell you how crappy you are doing, it doesn't mean you are crap.

10. Even if the person on the phone tells you to go to hell, no matter how hard it is smile and tell them to have a nice day.

11. STOP COMPARING YOURSELF TO OTHERS

12. You could be the ripest, juiciest peach in the world, but someone is still not going to like peaches.

So yes I may have been turned down a job at Nordstrom which is a galactic bummer. Yes, I may have cried my whole way home from work after dealing with the meanest people on earth and a boss who tells me everything I do wrong. Yes, I may be suffocating with stress and anxiety knowing I have to take a biology final, an astronomy final, and write two 10 page papers in the course of just 3 weeks. Yes, I may be wanting to buy a one way ticket to Aruba with what is left of my lousy checking account ( hashtag college probs), but the moral of the story is its just a bad day, not a bad life. Like the horribly overused cliché, there is always a rainbow after the storm.



No comments:

Post a Comment