Tuesday, March 29, 2016

What It's Like to Have A Disneyland Dad

it all started with a mouse

our $10,000 fast pass

we're all mad here


still 5 years old

original mouseketeer


cars land


60 years

fam bam

tea at Minnie's

my girl minnie

chewbacca

cute blue door in toon town

Urban dictionary defines a Disneyland dad as a term used to describe the role that some divorced fathers fulfill, whereby they tend their biological children during certain prescribed times during the year (much like a vacation) rather than be a father full time. But wait, stop. This is NOT what I mean by Disneyland dad. I mean it in the quite literal sense meaning, a dad that loves Disneyland. And let me tell you, that is my dad. He's the dad who dances in the street during the parades and cackles on tower of terror. He is a Disneyland dad. The best kind of dad.

If you haven't noticed yet, I am utterly and completely obsessed with all things Disney and Disneyland especially. For the past four years, my dad has taken my sisters and I on an annual Disney trip. The thought of that trip every year makes my heart sing. So yes, my dad is a Disneyland dad in the literal sense, not what Urban Dictionary defines him as. Every year I walk into the front gates and immediately feel a wave of happiness come over me. And yes, I do get Mickey Mouse ears every year. Between my sisters and I, we might have very well collected them all. I am the queen of Disneyland. I know where every ride is, every treat is, and what time every parade starts. Most of the time, you have to drag me out of the park with blisters on my feet and all. There is no way you can marry into my family unless you can walk three days at Disneyland. Everything about Disneyland makes my five year old self shine through. I will walk, skip, jump, run, and sing through the park till the day I die. Prior to my recent trip, I have brainstormed a bucket list for all things Disneyland. This might help anyone who is thinking about taking a trip and wondering about the dos and donts. Enjoy!!!

THE FOOD!!!
This might be one of my favorite parts of Disneyland no lie. I don't know if its the fact that every thing is Mickey Mouse shaped or the fact that you are in Disneyland that make everything to die for. With these treats, Disneyland is sure to give you an endless food baby.

1. Mickey Mouse waffles
These are located in the Carnation Café. These are probably hands down the best Belgian waffles you will ever get your hands on and it helps that they are Mickey shaped. Perfect place for brunch. It gets pretty busy in the mornings, so if you consider it make sure to ask about reservations.
mickey shaped waffle

2. Dole Whips
These are a Disneyland classis. Dole whips come in two options: a dole float or soft serve. It's the perfect blend of pineapple and ice cream and the float comes with a cherry on top! 10/10 would recommend grabbing a Dole whip and heading to the Tiki Room which is right next door.
dole whip soft serve

3. Churros
How could you miss the churros? There is a stand on practically every corner. Churros are my favorite treat so I get them as much as possible especially in Disneyland. There are huge too!! Another churro option is a churro ice cream sandwich. I haven't had the pleasure of trying one, but its on my list for next time. The churro ice cream sandwich is located in Downtown Disney.

4.Pickles
There is just something about a Disneyland pickle. I don't know what they do to them or where they get them, but this is a must in Disneyland. Even if you don't like pickles, you must try these.

5. Beignets

I have just recently discovered these little pieces of heaven. You can purchase them at the Mint Julep Bar located in New Orleans Square near the Haunted Mansion. I just tried these for the first time on my recent trip and they are to die for. I wanted to eat 8792479274. If you want a little taste of the south make sure to stop there. They are Mickey shaped too. To wash it down, make sure to try the signature Mint Julep.
beignet and mint julep



6. Corn Dogs
Hello can we just talk about how amazing the corn dogs are in Disneyland?? You can grab one at the Corndog Castle in California Adventure or there is a stand near the entry of Tommorowland. They are amazing.

7. Pretzels
More specifically, the cream cheese filled pretzel. MMM. Seriously it tastes so much better than it sounds. Located at the refreshments shop on Main Street. You can't forget about the classic Mickey shaped pretzel located in just about the same spots you see churros.

8. Mickey Ice Cream Bars
If its a hot day, a Mickey ice cream bar will be sure to hit the spot. Both the ice cream sandwich and the chocolate bar are located sporadically around both of the parks.
Mickey chocolate bar

9. Funnel Cakes
Two words. Funnel Cakes. Located at the Stage Door Café in Frontier land. You have the options of chocolate brownie, strawberry, or powdered sugar.

10. Macaroons
If you know me, you know how much I love French desserts. You can purchase Mickey shaped macaroons at the Jolly Holiday Café at the end of Main Street. They even add fresh raspberries.

pistachio macaroon


HOLY SMOKES I have a food baby just thinking about all the amazing food Disneyland has to offer. That's not even all, I just don't want to sound like a big fat foodie. But, on a real note one of the best parts of the Disney experience is gorging yourself with treats.

A few other tips:
  • wear good walking shoes. I walked for 3 days in Birkenstocks (aka the comfiest shoes) and my feet still hurt
  • make sure you get a fast pass for the Car's Ride. Every time I have been in the park, the Radiator Springs Racers have a line at least one hour long
  • WATCH THE PARADES AND THE FIREWORKS. This is part of what makes Disneyland so magical. Especially at the night with the glowing castle
  • If you can make reservations and your budget allows it, eat at the Blue Bayou (the restaurant inside the Pirates of the Carribean Ride) this one is still on my bucket list
  • Spend as much time in the parks as you can, the time goes by so fast
  • If you see a character walking around the park, make sure you wait in line to see them because chances are you won't see them again
  • If you want mouse ears or a stuffed animal and you're past the age of 10, freaking get them. I still want to buy every stuffed animal I see.
If you need further advice, I'm your girl.
I like to think I am a professional when it comes to Disneyland. I am so thankful to have a Disneyland dad who is as much of a Disney nut as I am. I am so grateful he is able to give me so many Disney experiences. Every time I go I learn something new. Every time I go I realize more and more how big of a genius Walt Disney was. And to think, it all started with a mouse.

XO- Sydney Lauren



No comments:

Post a Comment