Wednesday, March 16, 2016

To The State with the Greatest Snow on Earth

I am a born and raised Utahn. Utah is my home and always will be. Why in the devil did I never realize how beautiful this state is? I have taken for granted the fact that adventure awaits me right outside in my backyard. People come from all over the world to ski in our powdery mountains and hike tremendous peaks. This past weekend, I started my week of spring break. (THANK GOODNESS). I have never been in to the outdoors and I have always hated hiking because I was the straggler. Try keeping up with a mom who runs eight miles a day through winding trails. Let me tell you, its hard. For spring break, I went with my roommates to St. George. It's been such a trend to go to Zion National Park, so I decided to see what it was all about.


Holy moly.
God is an artist.
I hiked to Angel's Landing which is one of the most extreme hikes at Zion. Quite honestly, I did not think I was going to make it. It is a 5.4 mile hike round trip which doesn't sound too bad, until you find out it's incline is straight up and down. Once I got to the lookout point, I had to make the life changing decision to continue the last half mile with paths as narrow as 3 feet with 1200 foot drops and nothing but chains to keep you from free falling to your death. I was already feeling incredibly motivated. Having fear is something that will hold you back and keep you from accomplishing goals and things you never imagined you could do. The only thing you have to fear is fear itself. I was going to accomplish something I had never thought it could. Despite the burn of my lungs, the death grip on the chains I banked my life on, and my legs feeling like jello, I made it to the top. I had never felt so empowered and accomplished. I want that feeling forever. I want that feeling every single day of my life. I want to try new things, cross things off my bucket list, and experience the world. The crazy thing about that is that it starts right outside in my backyard.

Thank you Utah for being so mesmerizing and providing me with a lifetime of adventures. Remember to be fearless. Life is so short so unplug and get out there and live life elevated.

Also, I am accomplishing a lot of other things in my life outside of the beauty of Utah, I have just started on as a contributing writer for a blog called Her Track which shows women many directions of encouragement and empowerment so thank you all that have supported me through my own blog, you can now read more on another blog. I will continue to write on this domain on a more personal level, but watch for my stuff on http://hertrack.com/. I'm so excited to continue my writing career. If you ever feel afraid to step out of your comfort zone, don't be because look how much you can accomplish when you do.

XO- Sydney Lauren



















No comments:

Post a Comment