Wednesday, March 2, 2016

An Open Letter to the Girl with Big Dreams

Hello Blog World. I'm back.

I had a few moments of discouragement while trying to think of a worthwhile topic to write about in the past week. That may have been why its been so long since I've posted. That and I'm the busiest girl ever these days. Please tell me how one has time to have a social life, be a full time student on top of full time homework and studying, work 20 hours a week, stay fit, have a relationship, spend time with family, and still manage to get at least 6 or 7 hours of sleep. I promise you, life says pick 3. There's so many expectations and tasks and so little time. Sometimes I just wish we didn't have to sleep.

Recently in my English class, which has become one of my favorite classes I have ever taken, (this is a pretty big step for English 2010 I would say. Most people think this class was created by devil himself) my Jessica Day-esque teacher (kudos to anyone who remembers when I first mentioned her) said, "It takes great courage to be a writer."  This was exactly what I needed to hear to get my gears grinding in my brain again. I needed to get writing on my mind. I received some good advice that day. Anyone who is involved in creative work knows that for the first little bit when you are creating stuff you kind of, to put it nicely.. suck. You suck. You really do. You are not good yet. And getting good takes time. It takes practice. That was the pep talk I gave myself when I started to feel discouraged about what I'm doing here, what I'm doing with this writing. Why am I writing? Who is even reading this? But then, I thought back to that quote. I thought it does take courage. I have courage. I have courage to be opening up my heart, soul, and mind and spilling it out via the keyboard on my laptop. I am giving someone insight in to my own head. Giving them thoughts that they might be able to relate to. Writing is hard. Writing is scary. Writing is one of the most vulnerable things a human being can do. But writing is so damn beautiful. How beautiful is it that our human brains can relay what we're thinking to our fingers to have the capability to put it into words and share it with others. But, it's still scary.

I feel like I have no direction with where I'm going with this blog. Quite frankly, I'm still stuck in the " I suck" phase. I will be for awhile. But, what good are wings without the courage to fly?

I am trying to be good. I have the ambition to be good. But, it's just quite not that good yet. However, I do not lack taste. I do not lack emotion and vulnerability and that's what makes great writing. Just imagine what I have the potential of doing years from now when its more than just the ambition to be good. I cant wait till it's just good.

I started writing to try to get attention from others. I wanted to be good. I wanted to be good at something so bad. SO bad that it was good. That it is getting good. And getting is where I need to be going. I had realizations that I am writing for myself. If it happens to benefit others in the process, then win-win for the both of us.

So this is an open letter to the girl with big dreams...
Girl, you are rocking it. Whatever that little head of yours comes up with is worth writing down. It's worth documenting in your journal or jotting it down on a sticky note when you're supposed to be paying attention in class. This is 2016, you have the capability to change the world. To change lives. Whatever your dream may be from getting married to having the job of your dreams. It takes vulnerability. It takes not giving up on your day dream even when you're in the "I suck" rut of your life. You won't be good. Not at first anyway. Anything that is an accomplishment, takes perseverance and dedication. It takes time and not giving up no matter how many people don't read your stuff or how many ideas you thought would be good and just aren't. You are not good, But, you're getting there. And it's a beautiful ride my girl. It really is.

And this was a letter to myself. This was something I can look back on and laugh at when I truly am good. This is a reminder that you can get past discouragement. But also, this is a letter to all girls out there and even boys too that whatever your dreams are, they aren't too big. Nothing is too big for what the human can accomplish. We've been on the moon for Pete's sake. Shoutout to you Neil Armstrong. So please, don't quit your day dream. Strive for progress, not perfection. Life is tough darling, but so are you.

P.S Writer's block is real people. If you have a certain topic or thought you'd like me to write about, please I beg of you.. give me feedback!! Let me know what you want to read!!! This is a cry for help on behalf of my lack of inspiration lately!!!! You can also subscribe and get updated every time I post via email. If you're interested, scroll to the bottom of the page and enter your email in the box. And I changed the title of my blog again, curse my indecisiveness. Enjoy!

XO- Sydney Lauren


No comments:

Post a Comment