Sunday, May 15, 2016

Living Amongst Young Brides: A Tale of Utah Girls

It has been almost a year since I graduated high school and the tally for my classmates that are engaged keeps rising. Often times, I think about what it would be like to be married. I have been dating Easton for close to three years now and sometimes marriage seems appetizing. I think it sounds most appealing on those nights I can't sleep and I wish he was there to rub your back, or when scrolling through Pinterest and I move past bridesmaid dresses and gorgeous rocks that would look perfect on my dainty hand, or maybe its when I have a long day and just wish I could go home to my person and make dinner and dance in the kitchen. Then I come to my senses and I think about how great it is to be young. How great it is to be young and in love without the marriage license.

Living in Utah, I swear girls marry boys they just met because they have been spoon fed marriage since they were little girls and that's what they are supposed to do. That's the next thing they have to check off. Coming from the opposite side of the religion spectrum Utah so famously encompasses, I think getting married young is one of the dumbest and irresponsible decisions someone can make. Especially coming from a broken family where my parents ended up divorcing, I am an even stronger advocate for slowing down the marriage train. Marriage is meant to be serious and sacred and not something you just do because it's the next step. This day in age, marriage ends more often than not so why rush it?

My mom always told me, date a man through all the seasons. Maya Angelou says you can learn a lot about a person by the way they handle these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas lights. There is an enormous amount of truth coming from both of those wise women.

I want to do other things way more than I want to get married. I want to find myself, to travel the world, to discover what I like and what I don't like, to become successful, to have a career, to fall in love with my person naturally and throughout the years because I am changing. He is changing. Everything changes and I don't think that these young brides realize how much is about to change. Hell, what if you don't like the person you married once you move in together and realize you hate how they leave their wet towels on the bed or leave their dishes in the sink? That is the scary part.

Like I said, it will be three years in November. Three years to fall in love and get to know a person and its still not enough. I still need to learn more, to discover each other, to make more memories and experience more things before I can commit myself to a person forever. Marriage is such a beautiful thing and something I have dreamed about since I was a little girl, but I have so many bigger dreams than that at the age of 19. I want to travel to Paris and kiss under the Eiffel tower, eat some bugs in Thailand, and go ice fishing in Alaska. I want to experience struggle. I want to eat Top Ramen and Mac n Cheese and still be able to go to my parent's house and sleep in my bed in the room I grew up in. I don't want to pay bills or make dinner or clean the house or do laundry.

I am nineteen years old. That sounds like torture.

 I want to go out with my friends and experience life. I want to turn 21 in Vegas and 25 in Europe.  I want to have a career, be successful, show up to the office in a pencil skirt and heels and tell people what to do. I want to experience life for myself before I am ready to experience it with a spouse. I want love to work out naturally. I want to live in a beautiful house with my husband, not married student apartments. I want to wear a white dress and not feel like I was just at the prom. So thank you to all you young brides who have made me realize what I do want at this age.

Shoutout to Easton for making it last with me for nearly three years. Thank you for dancing in the kitchen with me, singing your rap songs to me in the car even when I act like I hate, and going on every adventure I think of with me and making everyone one of my whims and dreams come true
. Thank you for making me realize that marriage is worth the wait.

XO- Sydney Lauren



No comments:

Post a Comment