Thursday, May 26, 2016

Post Grad Life

While I was in the shower today, deep in thought, I started reminiscing on the past year of my life. It is hard to comprehend that it has almost been a full year since I graduated from high school. I waited all that time to graduate, to grow up and now I wish I hadn't rushed it like I did. Time literally flashes the minute you step out of that high school world. One thing I will say, life gets harder, but it also gets better. Much better. As I think about the last year of my life and what I've learned I want to share it. I want to share it with the people who have already graduated, but I also want to give this present to the graduates of 2016. Here's what you need to know about life beyond high school:

1. Put all that graduation money into a savings account.
Don't go on a crazy shopping spree, don't put new wheels on your car and don't spend it all on food. If you sent out graduation announcements, you will probably receive checks and cash galore. I know I did. I was shocked by the amount of money I got even from people I didn't know. I would go through high school all over again to get that kind of money. I can't stress it enough to save, save, save!

2. It gets harder, but better.
Some people are at a loss with what to do with themselves after graduation. I've seen it. They don't know what they should study, where they should go to school or where they should work. It is terrifying to be so vulnerable out in the real world. I made the decision to go to college which I would recommend 10/10 times. However, college isn't for everyone. It's not going to get easier. You aren't going to have less things to pay for or less responsibility, but you will hopefully have a better understanding of who you are because you are now in charge of your ending. My biggest piece of advice is to find something you love to do and pursue it. No matter how scary it is, put yourself out there and be passionate in whatever you do.

3. You will find your forever friends.
I know you probably think your high school friends are the ones that will be there forever. You think those are the ones you will dance to High School Musical in the kitchen with, the ones you will pull all nighters with in college, the ones who will be your bridesmaids and be there for you when you have your first baby.  Most of the time, that's not the case. In my case, I found those friends in college. I found those friends when I left my comfort zone and once again put myself out there. I reached out to people I would never imagine being friends with. People from other states, other religions, and other interests and they became my forever friends. So if you don't feel like you have those yet, you'll find them. Sometimes it just takes time.

4. Try something new.
Whether it be sushi, the Zumba class or country dancing do something you've never done before. You are free from the binds of high school. You don't have to ask to go to the bathroom anymore. What are you going to do with this new found freedom? It all goes back to stepping out of that safe haven. Break through. No one and I mean no one cares about what you do anymore. It isn't like high school where everyone knows you and cares what you do with your life. You have a completely new and fresh start so do something incredible with it. You could show up to class on a scooter wearing a snuggie and people in college would wonder why they didn't think of that first.

5. Learn responsibility.
Fortunately and unfortunately, some people will not learn responsibility until they are pushed out of the nest. I saw people struggle when they had to get their first jobs in college, when they had to pay for groceries and figure out how a credit card works. It is crucial to learn to take care of yourself before it's too late.

6. Life is short. Buy the dress.
College life is hard. It's hard to work, go to school, do homework, study, go to the gym, have a social life and sleep. It is easy to get wrapped up in everything on your "to do" list. Life is short. Sometimes you have to choose between groceries or a new pair of shoes. Sometimes the new shoes win, but life is short and that's okay.

7. Be a kind human.
No matter who you were in high school whether you had 50 friends, 5 friends or no friends now is your chance to rewrite your story. Smile at people in the hall, hold the door and do something nice for a stranger. Life is so much better when you cultivate kindness.

8. Nothing matters but you.
It doesn't matter who's on vacation, at that concert or dating that boy. Who you were in high school means nothing the minute you receive that diploma. Everything is about you know. Don't worry about what other people are saying and doing. Delete social media if you have to. It's no longer a competition. This is your life and it's just beginning.

I hope that my words of wisdom and what I have learned since being graduated spreads to nations. I hope that someone else can benefit from what I learned and learn 68 other things after graduating from high school. Congrats class of 2016, you did it. Time goes so fast so make it last and make it worthwhile.

P.S: hertrack.com is now an official account for publishing on the Huffington Post. I have the ability to get published on the Huff Post depending on how well my posts do on Her Track. If you like what I write, please go to my Facebook or the Her Track website and share everything I have written. It would really make a writer girl's dreams come true.

XO- Sydney Lauren


No comments:

Post a Comment