Wednesday, May 11, 2016

What It's Like To Fall In Love With Life

With Mother's Day being only a few short days ago, I thought I would comprise and dedicate a tribute to the person who sparked my love interest with life; my mom.

My mom has taught me so many things throughout my life. We have always had the best relationship. She's taught me a lot of mom things like how to cook, how to clean, how to deal with my changing body, how to deal with boys, and how to present myself as a person, but besides all that she has taught me how to love life and make the most of every breathing, waking second of it.

She taught me not to waste my time on people that only need me when they need something.
She taught me not to let anyone try to change the person I am.
She taught me not to go broke trying to look rich.
She taught me that life is about obtaining experiences not material.
She taught me that usually money cannot but those moments that you will treasure most in your heart.
And
She taught me that everyone is beautiful despite being different than myself.

I think the moment you know that you have fallen in love with your life is when waking up at 6 am before the sun had even reached the peak of its decent over the mountains is really okay. You are happy to wake up that early because it is to do something you love and you have finally found what it is. It is showing up 20 minutes early after the hustle and bustle of rush hour traffic that makes you want to kick a dog, but you are still smiling. You can't even wipe the smile off your face and you are just now realizing how dumb you probably look. It is being ecstatic to offer free labor in exchange for school credit. It is walking out the doors realizing how lucky and excited you are to be able to wake up and do it all again tomorrow. If I get to feel like that for the rest of my life, nothing will feel like work.

I am currently interning at Good Things Utah for the summer. Many have asked me what I'll be doing while I'm there. During the show, I am either on set taking pictures, videos, and tweeting to our viewers or I am in the producer's booth. After my work during the show is done, I have the duty of heading to the computers to work on the web stories for the next day to come. It's funny because to the producers, these web stories have become mundane and monotonous for the so they hand them over to us, but I'm over here on cloud 9 because I get to do it and it is something I love to do.

I owe a special thanks to my mom and everyone else in my life that has provided for me and supported me. I have truly fallen in love with my life. If I could marry my life I probably would.

So, my advice for anyone that is reading this and knows I still exist, please fall in love with your life. Life is too short not too. Fall in love with painting your walls a different color, that fact that you had enough money in your checking account to fill your gas tank, the tulips blooming in your front yard, eating your favorite meal for dinner, sleeping with your window open, making new friends, and when your favorite song plays on the radio and ends right in time for you to pull into the garage.

On other days, it is not always easy to be on good terms with life. Life gets hard. Life gets sticky. Sometimes it's like stepping on a piece of gum and you just can't get it to stop sticking. You and life might be in quarrels. You might be giving each other the silent treatment. Maybe you stained your shirt on the way out the door, you hit every red light and then some, or it started to rain and sandals were your shoe of choice for the day. Those are the days that you toss your hair in a bun, drink a Starbucks, put on some Britney and handle it because life is about doing things that don't suck with people that don't suck. So make wake, pray, and slay your motto because life is so good. As one of my favorite books puts it, it's a good life Hazel Grace.






- XO Sydney Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment