Tuesday, January 26, 2016

What to do When you Just Don't Want to Adult

Growing up is hard. I haven't fully entered extreme adulthood yet. I'm still in pre- adulthood is what I want to call it. I'm a college student living on my own away from my parents. Granted I'm only about a 30 minute drive away from a home cooked meal, I'm pretty much on my own. I still get some financial help from my family, however I'm learning what it's like to pay rent and buy my own groceries. Groceries are expensive might I add. I'm on my own for meals, and gas, and laundry and all that fun adult stuff. Why is it that we go through our whole lives wanting so badly to grow up but once we are finally there it isn't all that its cracked out to be? We spend so much of our lives wanting to be older than we are. We are always waiting to be 16 so we can drive, 17 so we can see R rated movies, 18 so we are finally legal and an adult, 21 so we can drink, 25 so we can get married and start a family and so on. We have forgotten what its like to be young. I think in this generation especially, we are racing to get to the next step and forgetting to live in the age we are now. A personal example is my little sister Ella. She is the youngest in my family so she has me and my sister that to look up to. Lately, she is in such a hurry to wear makeup and watch shows that she probably shouldn't and like boys and everything else that me and my sister Olivia might be doing that I think she has forgotten what it's like to be 12. Oh what I would do to go back to being 12. I wouldn't have to wake up and go to classes I'm paying an arm and a leg for just to come home and go to work to be able to pay for them. Mom still picks you up from school and your biggest worry is what show will be on Disney channel that night.

I think we as humans take being young for granted. There is no hurry to grow up and I wish I would have known that because on days like this when I just can't "adult". I'm still in a stage where I don't have all of the adult responsibilities, but I've gotten a taste and it sucks. So stop waiting for Friday, waiting for summer, waiting for the one to fall in love with. Happiness is achieved when you stop waiting for it and make the most of the moment you're in now. My biggest piece of advice to you is stop rushing, stop trying to be older than you are because quite frankly "adulting" is not as fun as it looks. And while you're young, remember there is really not even that much to stress about. I am the stress case queen, but I've gotten better when I realized I needed to stop getting ahead of myself and growing up too darn fast. So be young my friends! Even if your age might not be young by some standards, be young. Also, don't let your responsibilities consume you. We are not on this earth to work to pay bills. We are on this earth to discover ourselves and find our happiness. And on the days you don't feel like being an adult, do something crazy and remember what it's like to be young.

Sidenote: I am always getting grief for making a bigger deal out of things than they really are so here's a quote that is way too relatable to my life and might make you giggle a little bit. Happy Tuesday!

XO- Sydney Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment