Sunday, January 31, 2016

Self Loving

Self Confidence might be hands down one of the most attractive qualities about someone. Self confidence can lead to gains in friends, jobs, and health. However, self confidence might be one of the hardest things to acquire. It is human nature to be jealous and wishful of other lives. As humans, we are constantly comparing the pros and cons of ourselves to other people around us. Like anyone, I have times of insecurity and points in my life where my self-esteem meter isn't where it should be. There are times when I think, "She's prettier than me" or " They are having more fun than me" or "Her body is cuter than mine". The truth is, we are like snowflakes. No two of us were created the same. I think that is so special. It is so crazy to wrap my mind around the fact that I'm the only me out there. I have come to the realization that when we are happy with ourselves and our lives and are not comparing it to other people's we are confident. There are days when I wake up and have my cup of coffee and walk down the hall like I'm the queen of the world. Other days, I don't even want to look at myself in the mirror or put on clothes. We have this nasty stigma that who we are and what we are doing isn't enough.

I will admit, just until this year after graduating from high school is when I have started to find my self confidence and keep my self-esteem high. High school is a brutal place. You could not pay me to go back. It was like walking through a hallway where everyone is your worst critic. You constantly feel like you're getting judged for what you're wearing, who you talk to, what sport you play. It was terrifying. I would honestly avoid the cafeteria so I didn't have to be reminded of my level of unpopularity and my diminishing number of friends. I see what my sister goes through day by day. However, she does have multitudes of friends and was probably the exact opposite of who I was in high school, but I see the constant worry. The constant worry of having a zit and not wanting to go to school. For whatever reason, kids in high school expect you to be perfect. There is this pressure for everyone to conform to the same style, language, activities, and look. That was not who I was. Being graduated as made me realize how ridiculous it was to feel insecure. Those people that are so called "popular" those are the people who will be stuck in high school the rest of their lives. Those are the people who have already reached their peak. It is comforting to know that I still have my peak to experience. Being in college is a whole new experience, no one cares who you are, what school you went to, what car you drive, what you wear, or who you hangout with. So for all of you struggling with who you are, don't worry the best days are yet to come. You will soon be at a time in your life where what you look like doesn't matter anymore. Soon the most important thing will be your future and the successful accomplishments ahead of you. I held on to that thought for so long and I feel like I can finally breathe now that it's here. It is important to not lose yourself despite how low you might be feeling. Love yourself. Self confidence is sexy. Self confidence will get you that boy and that job.

The you that you are is amazing. You are a snowflake and there's nothing out there that can compete with you. You have such a bright future beyond what you might feel right now. I promise you it does get better. You will be able to walk through any hall, building, or down any street like you own the place and no one will care and that's what's so awesome about it.  If that post wasn't quite enough, I have included a link for the prescription for self love, take a read!! And make it the best Monday!

XO- Sydney Lauren






https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/get-hardy/201203/seven-step-prescription-self-love

No comments:

Post a Comment